Monday, December 12, 2011

Vacation, Day 5

I woke up at 5 the morning of the last day, dressed super quietly, and snuck downstairs for (finally!) a long walk on the beach.  I got down to the patio, and it was pouring rain.  So much for that.  I went back to the room, got a sweatshirt, and my book, and settled down on the cold patio to read and watch the sun come up the clouds gradually get lighter.  Blissful, blissful solitude.  Some soldiers came down from their post on some rocks next to the beach and did some drill.  Almost an hour later, when the rain let up a tiny bit, I walked down to the beach.  Still too cold and too wet for a walk, I went upstairs to get another sweater or a blanket, and then to head up to the roof.  The mother woke up and came with me.  I think she was confused and maybe a little uncomfortable when I stood there looking at the waves for an extended amount of time, but she eventually stopped staring at me and started doing some exercises.  (At that point, I was in no place to try to start early morning small talk with her.  I just wanted to do my own thing for a little bit!)  Finally, she asked if I was hungry, and when I said yes, suggested we go to McDonald's and bring food back for the family.  She seemed really excited about the two of us going to the McDonald's drive-thru together (one of the few in Korea, they said).  We went back to the room and she started to sneak around getting dressed, but the father woke up and asked where we were going.  About 15 minutes later, as we were literally walking out the door, he suggested that we all go.  I was bummed at first (soooo hungry), but excited when he said we should pack first and then just leave from McDonald's.  Sweet!  We packed, had a delicious, delicious breakfast of breakfast food, and hit the road.  About an hour away from home, around 1pm, the father told me that we would go have lunch at a Korean restaurant and then they would take me home.  Oh no!  I was done.  I just wanted my apartment.  And to call my friends.  And to be alone.  And to eat a meal without being stared at!  I managed to beg my way out of the meal, saying that I wasn't hungry and was very tired and just wanted to take a nap.  They finally relented, and though I felt like I was maybe being a little rude, I was soooo happy when I finally reached my apartment!

That vacation was a bit too much so early on in my stay here.  I didn't want to eat any Korean food, watch any Korean movies, study any Korean, or do anything that reminded me I was in Korean for weeks afterwards.  I finally got over that, though, and now that I have FINALLY finished blogging this vacation, I can tell you about much more fun adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment